Communication and Social Interaction
Communication and social interaction is at the core of all learning for our students at the East SILC. Staff are committed to ensuring all students achieve the very best progress in their speech, language and communication needs. Communication and social skills needs can directly impact on our students’ self-esteem, confidence, emotional well-being, friendships and relationships. Improved communication and social skills will support our students to become independent, confident, and active members of their community.
Speech and Language therapy at the East SILC
Our Speech and Language Therapy team provide a specialised service delivered as an integral part of students’ education. Recognising the importance of communication across the curriculum we employ our own full-time Speech and Language therapist, Ellie Colman. This is in addition to the speech and language therapy services provided by the NHS team, who work at John Jamieson and our partnership sites. Our therapists provide assessment, monitoring and evaluation of our students speech, language and communication needs. This involves liaising closely with families, school staff, and the wider multidiscplinary team.
Our therapists will provide general advice and specific strategies to support and develop communication, as well as contributing to progress reviews and Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs). An individual or group programme will be implemented where needed. Therapists provide ongoing mentoring and training to the staff team, parent workshops, and evaluations of the whole school environment. This is to ensure students can be supported in a holistic manner across the curriculum and school day, and in their home environments. The NHS therapy team also provide assessment and management of dysphagia (swallowing difficulties), and eating and drinking needs. You can find out more about the work carried out within school on the other website pages.
A collection of useful resources for you to download...
- SLCN and top communication tips.pdf
- Having Fun with Language.pdf
- parent speech and language therapy leaflet.pdf
- SaLT services accessible document.pdf
- top tip for parents secondary.pdf
- top tips for parents early years.pdf
- top tips for parents primary.pdf
- top tips for parents SEN.pdf
- Communication for individuals with complex needs information.pdf
- key word understanding information overview.pdf
- Language development pyramid.pdf
- Means, Reasons and Opportunities school version.pdf
- Other ways of speaking.pdf
- Steps to communication school version.pdf
- Top Communication Tips.pdf
- The Importance of Gestures.pdf
- Play information overview.pdf
- Top 10 Toys Factsheet.ashx.pdf