The competition is designed to promote all aspects of communication including:
- making choices (e.g. what we want to put on our door, which advent door to open, which is our favourite etc.)
- using our senses (touch, hearing, sight, smell). We've got music, lights, squidgy Christmas trees, fluffy snowmen, and even doors that smell Christmassy!
- using pictures, symbols, and photos. Anyone for a selfie in Grasshoppers photobooth?
- working as a team
- problem solving and compromise
- using our Makaton signing
- using our voices
- developing cause and effect understanding (e.g. pushing recorded buttons with messages and songs on)
- showing preferences for different sensory materials
- reading and writing skills
Each door will reflect the communication strengths and needs of the students in the class. This means there is a lot of variety and everyone has got to be very creative. Students will complete a 'Christmas door trail' next week and then decide on their winners. Our Principal, Bridie Dorning, will also be judging a winner from each phase. Good luck to all those taking part. Don't forget to check back soon as we will share more of our Christmas doors and our winners.
« Previous Page